Recently at the local library, I picked up a copy of Betsy-Tacy, the first book in the series by Maud Hart Lovelace published in 1940. I read the Betsy-Tacy books in elementary school and thought that my kids would enjoy hearing them as read-alouds.What fun I've had remembering the stories of the friendship of two little girls at the turn-of-the-century. Even better, Maud Hart Lovelace based the series on her childhood growing up in Mankato, Minnesota. The characters are whimsical and sweet. We are learning new vocabulary words and a little bit about history as well. I like that the stories promote things that we want to emphasize as a family--respect for authority, love for family (Tacy is one of 11 children!), good parental role models, enjoyment of nature and just plain good childhood fun.
picture from The Betsy-Tacy Society website (http://www.betsy-tacysociety.org/)
We've also been reading a bit of Amelia-Bedelia. These funny books are fabulous for teaching American idioms and for developing a good sense of humor. Amelia-Bedelia always saves herself from disaster by cooking something delicious. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment