Thursday, January 8, 2009

Contextualization

My brother, Matt, posted this lecture by Tim Keller on his blog, and I really appreciated it.

One interesting idea was how contextualization is much more necessary in the United States now that our culture has moved from it's traditional, biblical values.

"The missional church's congregation--the Christians inside--can't look utterly different from the people walking around outside. If culturally, you're all completely different--which often, by the way, happens--then you're going to have a lot of trouble reaching your neighborhood."

Keller is a pastor in NYC. Using Harlem as an illustration, he described how the middle-class people left this fairly multi-class community for the suburbs as they became more wealthy in the 60s and 70s. Yet, they continued to commute back to their churches in the city. By the 80s and 90s, the churches had become little islands that were isolated from the poor community that now surrounded them.

"The people inside (in Harlem) did not look at all like the people outside. They weren't like the people outside. And if an outsider came in, they immediately felt a complete disconnect. And, therefore, one part of being missional means that--the people on the outside--when they look in and they see Christians, they've got to be Christians that show them what they would look like if they became believers. So they have some idea of what they would look like. So they have some idea what you are calling them to be."

I've been thinking this week about what ways I can do better cross-cultural communication within my neighborhood. What are the people around me interested in that I could be more interested in? What simple changes can I make in my conversation and manner that will make me more approachable to my neighbors when they have spiritual questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment