We’ve been practicing for the annual kids’ Christmas program at church. We only have about three weeks of rehearsal left for a program that I helped write. The kids are going to portray various Old Testament characters that describe how their stories point to the birth of Christ. I am sure I’m biased, but I think it’s going to be a really good program. It’s crunch time now, though, and we’re trying to practice as if it were the “real thing”. Today everyone tried on his or her biblical costume, and it was pure chaos. Each little kid wanted some individual attention about how the costume was supposed to fit.
One of my newer sixth grade girls is a very resourceful person. She has an idea for everything. Her costume “fit funny”, so she wanted to take her costume home and do some sewing on it to “fix it”. She wanted to lead the ribbons, wanted to hold the signs, wanted to help with the word cards. I was getting frustrated and was starting to feel impatient when she kept doing a certain part of a dialogue wrong. She apologized meekly. For a fairly resilient girl, I could tell she was starting to feel down. I felt badly for being short with her. She meant well. I tried to smile at her and keep the train moving. We were practicing the Adam and Eve scene when I described to the kids that we would have a tree as a “prop”. My assistant director was going to find a fake snake to hang in the tree. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "Okay, we'll have a tree here in the middle with a snake in it. When Adam says 'leave the garden', Eliana is going to come out from behind the tree dressed as an angel with a sword in her hands."
My resourceful sixth-grade friend: (raising her hand again) “Can I bring my snake?”
Me: "Sure! That would be great. I’m sure that would help Mrs. Brack out."
My resourceful sixth-grade friend: (HUGE grin. Unmistakable ecstasy and joy…over-the-top glee?)
Me: (Thinking—Hmmm…she’s pretty happy about that. I’m glad we’re friends again. I was afraid she was as frustrated with me as I was getting with her.) "Okay, Adam, keep going with your part."
My resourceful sixth grade friend: “Don’t worry at all, Miss Amy. Sally doesn’t ever bite!”
(This could be the best Christmas pageant ever!)
This pageant is one I wouldn't miss for the world! They are always hilarious. . . sorry, but it's true ;0) However, a live snake will, indeed, be great!
ReplyDelete