If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.
God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain.
I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare.
Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man.
No comments:
Post a Comment