Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Busyness and Laziness

From C.J. Mahaney:

...the realization that I could be simultaneously busy and lazy, that I could be a hectic sluggard, that my busyness was no immunity from laziness, became a life-altering and work-altering insight. What I learned is that:
  • Busyness does not mean I am diligent
  • Busyness does not mean I am faithful
  • Busyness does not mean I am fruitful
Recognizing the sin of procrastination, and broadening the definition to include busyness, has made a significant alteration in my life. The sluggard can be busy—busy neglecting the most important work, and busy knocking out a to-do list filled with tasks of secondary importance.

This is an important subject and excellent for self-evaluation. I've realized recently that almost every time I am asked or ask "How have you been?" the answer is "busy." After reading this post by C.J. Mahaney, I realize that busyness is not necessarily a virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment