Thursday, December 20, 2007

"Many Colored" Trials


James 1:2-3 (ESV)
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

I've read that the "various" of James 1 could also be defined "many colored". Today the colors in my house were "spring green" and "olive green". They were two crayons that went through the washing machine AND, unfortunately, the dryer. This happened to me a couple of years ago with a crayon called "macaroni and cheese". That time, it mostly affected my white sheets and some underwear. This time, it was Will's clothes--three pairs of Dockers pants and a dress shirt, plus some other stuff. I've learned the best thing to do is to throw everything away. Then try to forget about what was lost. If you find yourself missing something, then you will need to replace it. (I try this philosophy on kids' clothes that get stained.) I might need to do some shopping this week, however, because I think Will will start missing his Dockers pretty quickly. : ) Praise God that these many colored trials are producing patience in me and a longing for other-worldly things, things that moth and rust and Crayola crayons do not destroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment