Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Psalm 65

I have been really struck lately with how deep my sin is in my motives lately. The "why's" of what I do. Sometimes I have a tendency to think I have arrived at a level that is acceptable and God is pleased with, or I am the opposite and tend to consider myself a failure because I can't seem to have victory over anything.
I have been reading in Psalms in the yearly Bible reading program and was encouraged by it. David, considered a man after God’s own heart, failed miserably in sin, but overcame it and gave great glory to him. That has been my goal, to experience victory over sin and point to God for all good. David often mentions that the enemy (for which I can't really relate - I have no real enemies) is against him, but in Psalm 65 He says sin is against him (that I can relate to).

"Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion, and to you shall vows be performed. O you
who hears prayer, to you shall all flesh come. When iniquities
prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions. Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be
satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple!"
(emphasis mine)
When my sin controls me I must remember that it is already atoned for. I tend to get discouraged with no victory in sight. But in this Psalm David again praises God. He keeps his eyes on who God is and how he brings us to himself even in our sin, and forgives us. He loved us in spite of our continuous failures. And amazingly he knows how many more times I will continue to fail, but he chose me in my sin!
"By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the
hope of all the ends of the earth and the farthest seas; the one who by his
strength established the mountains, being girded with might; who stills the
roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples, so that
those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs."

No comments:

Post a Comment