Saturday, March 22, 2008

"Why you a nice mama?"

My third child, Ella, has a terrible middle-of-the-night habit. She will, without warning, let out a blood-curdling scream. Usually the purpose for this shriek is blankets that have gone awry or a lost stuffed friend. It drives us all crazy. When I hear it, my heart starts pounding, my skin crawls...and I get mad! Kaisa, who is supposed to share a double bed with Ella, has decided that it is more peaceful to sleep with Tad in his room.
Last night, Ella, started screaming at 3:00 a.m. I jumped from my bed and ran to her room to check on her. Her pillow had fallen on the floor. Still upset myself at the interruption of my sleep, I slammed the pillow on her bed and tucked her back in hurriedly. I noticed, though, that Ella smelled like she also had a dirty diaper. I knew I couldn't leave her there without changing her, so I slowed myself down and went to find a diaper and wipes. I came back and changed her diaper (more compassionately now). She looked up at me and asked "Why you a nice mama?" My first reaction to such a sweet question was to say, "Because I love you." But I knew that the love wasn't in me. The better answer came to me next, "Because God has been so good to me." That is the only reason I have any mercy to pass on...because God has been merciful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment