It's amazing to me how difficult it is to keep an eternal perspective while we live in this world.2 Corinthians 4, one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, points out in verses 17 and 18
For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
I listened to a sermon online recently by Brad Bigney, a pastor in northern Kentucky. (Brad, by the way, taught at the Biblical Counseling Training Conference we attended in February.) The sermon was the final one in a series on service; it focused on the problem of burnout in ministry. There were many good thoughts--focus on the gospel, finishing well, etc. He pointed out how ridiculous some of our excuses will sound on that final day when we meet Christ. I imagined myself "I was so tired," "I've been hurt too many times," "I would have had to find a babysitter," or "Nobody even cares that I'm doing that." Brad said that we will want to be able to use the words of Paul instead in 2 Timothy 4:8
I pray that God will give me grace today to be faithful.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
No comments:
Post a Comment