Monday, May 25, 2009

Everyday Talk: "Is he a bad guy?"

My husband is doing a sermon series on Biblical Parenting from 1 Timothy. I have thoroughly enjoyed the series with its emphases on the gospel and the importance of Deuteronomy 6 living.
I thought I'd share a few "everyday talk" examples from my own experience.

On a recent Saturday, between running errands, we were eating our lunch in the van in a parking lot. I decided to get out of the car to throw some things away, leaving the kids in the van alone but within a few yards of me. As I prepared to do this, a somewhat-rusty truck pulled up next to us. The man inside stayed in his seat for a moment (maybe finishing his own sandwich). Kaisa, nervous about having him there next to us while I went out, asked "Is that man a bad guy?" In an effort to relieve her fears (and in my frustration with her for judging the guy based on his truck), my first reaction was to respond "No, he's not a bad guy." Instead I started a more theologically correct conversation.

"Yes, he's a bad guy. We're all bad guys, Kaisa."

"I know, but is he a BAD guy?"

"Let me ask you a question, Kaisa. Which is the worse sin--complaining about your sandwich or stealing something from the store?"

"Stealing something."

"Stealing something might seem like the worse sin because it has serious consequences from the police, but God doesn't see it the same way. Actually, God says that there is no 'worse' sin, Kais. In God's eyes, all sins are the same. We would deserve to go to hell even if, in our whole life, we only complained one time. James says that whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point is guilty of all. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah. I'm still nervous about that guy."

"That's fine. We don't know him. It's okay; I can throw this away later. Okay? Tell me this, though, is mama a 'bad guy'?"

"Yes."

"Are you a 'bad guy'?"

"Yes. We're all bad guys."

"Yep, we are all capable of doing any kind of evil thing. That's why we need God's grace and forgiveness and help."

No comments:

Post a Comment