There have been plenty of opportunities this week to live out Deuteronomy 6 with my kids. Some of our good friends have been spending the night at our house as the movers are packing them up for a job transfer to Pennsylvania. My kids understand now that our friends are leaving for good, and they have been really sad. I had this conversation with Tad.
"When are they coming back?"
"They are not coming back, buddy. They are going to live in Pennsylvania now."
"But I don't want them to go away. I want Ava to stay and play with me."
"I know. I don't want them to go away either, Tad. But God has a special job for them to do in a different place. And God knows about us staying here. He knows what we need. You know what Philippians 4:19 says, Tad?"
"Huh?"
"It says, 'My God will supply all your need according to His riches in glory. Do we need food?"
"Yeah."
"God will provide food for us. Do we need a place to live?"
"Yeah."
"God will provide a place for us to live. Do we need friends?"
"Yeah."
"God will provide friends for us, Tad. He loves us so much and has great plans for us."
I also got another phone call from school today saying that my oldest had an ear infection. She wondered why she always has trouble with her ears while the other kids don't.
"Your ears are just more sensitive."
"Why are my ears more sensitive and not Tad's?"
"Well, Kaisa, our trials are tailor-made for us. That means God gives us exactly what troubles we need to help us to grow to be like Jesus."
"What troubles does Tad have?"
(Tad eagerly volunteers this information.) "I had a broken leg."
"Yep, that's right. Tad had a broken leg one time, and Tad lost his rocket. Those troubles are perfect for Tad to make him more patient and to help him trust God more. Your troubles are perfect for you."
No comments:
Post a Comment