Thursday, January 24, 2008

On judging others' involvement (an easy thing to do)


This is from the book Margin by Richard A. Swenson, M.D.:

Each of us needs to seek his or her own level of involvement and not let the standard be mandated by the often exorbitant expectations of others. Some around us who are much more involved than we are may not understand why we choose to hold back. Others might be much less involved than we are--we assume they don't care. We must understand that everyone has a different tolerance for overload and a different threshold level when breakdown begins to occur. It is important for us to set people free to seek their own level.

When given this freedom, some unfortunately will indeed use the overload principle as an excuse for laziness. Exploitation will occur by those who claim to be overloaded but instead are simply undisciplined. In this case I may wish to employ a large measure of grace as I talk to them about their level of involvement. But as soon as I condemn them or try to control them, I violate who they are before God. Making them accountable to Him does not mean that they must then do as I wish them to do. My own spiritual walk in the midst of my own overload is enough of a burden to keep me fully occupied.

So...when it comes to me: Check for laziness and an undisciplined life. Be willing and ready to do whatever God calls me to do, even if it requires sacrifice. Above all, seek to know and do God's will for my time and resources.
When it comes to others: Think the best of them. Trust that they are seeking to do God's will. When in doubt, give grace. (Though I think there is a place for loving questioning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment