Thursday, May 7, 2009

Entertaining and Biblical Hospitality

I read this article on hospitality on the CBMW website (Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood). The author, Jena Starke, notes the differences between "entertaining" and "hospitality".

Here are some observations about entertaining vs. the hospitable heart that we are to cultivate from God's Word:

Entertaining is fundamentally "me-focused."

It has the feel of a show and it's heart is impressing other people either visually or with a meal.

It is embarrassed if something "goes wrong" or doesn't fit the kind of reputation it is trying to project or protect.

It is essentially prideful and hopes to be repaid.

It carries an air of formality that prohibits spiritual intimacy and fellowship.

It tends not to associate with the "lowly."

Biblical hospitality is humble.

It attempts to make people feel comfortable; creating an atmosphere where people can be themselves, fellowship together, and where ministry can take place.

It doesn't seek to hide areas of weakness or flaws - these are assumed.

It recognizes that the importance of any other person rests in their having been made in the image of God, not their social status.

It is servanthood that desires God to receive glory by time spent with others.

It is open to the needy and doesn't seek repayment.

It points unbelievers and those who are weak toward the Gospel.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that. It is amazing how many of the me-focused points come through when I try to be hospitable. It is a great challenge to not worry so much about appearances and focus more on the ministry aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think kindness is kindness no matter how you slice it. I hope the kindess I show towards others is always God focused.

    ReplyDelete