Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wordell Worldview

Today we went to see the public television guy do a storytime. He's an incredibly talented guy, but his presentation started an interesting conversation in our van on the way home. His story was about the "evil squid" (defined by the fact that they eat old batteries, toxic waste and garbage cans) who were invading the earth. He called on all of the "good children" (later described as those who eat good healthy food) at the Bandshell Park to help save the world. Of course, he asked everyone who was a "good child" to raise his or her hand. Thankfully, my kids hesitated. They know that they are not good. (They are lavishly loved by God and by their parents...but they are not good.) Romans 3:23 says that "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." We don't measure up--we don't even come close--to the perfection and sinlessness of God. Romans 3:10 says that "none is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God." From birth we naturally seek our own self-interests, living our lives independent of God.

This worldview that people are inherently good is toxic stuff. For one thing, it's confusing. If I am good, why do I want to eat cookies and candy all of the time? If I am good, why do I want what other people have? If others are good, why do they try to steal my stuff? If people are good, why do they do such evil things all over the world? Understanding the biblical view of man actually gives us an incredible amount of hope. We do not seek after God, but he seeks after us. He made us and loves us and sent his sinless Son, Jesus, to die a death he did not deserve. Because of Jesus' death, we are offered forgiveness of sin. Not only that, but we are given power over sin and the power to change. For my part, I'm glad I know that I'm not "good" little girl.

1 comment:

  1. hmm, his is as very interesting definition of good. It is actually kind of funny. ;0) . . . if it weren't so sad.

    ReplyDelete