Psalm 131
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore.
Zeke is finally weaned. When I hold him now, he no longer whines and cries to be fed. He can simply sit in my lap and enjoy my presence. He finally trusts me to meet his needs. In fact, when he wants a drink now, he'll hit his little chubby hand against my arm or leg--sometimes without saying anything. He knows I understand. When my kids were still nursing, however, they would scream and scream to be fed. They wouldn't stop if I said, "Just a minute. I'll be right there; give me a minute to take this out of the oven." I remember thinking, "I feed you every day! Why do you cry like you don't believe I will do it again today?!"
My God has met my needs in the past. He has promised to provide for my every need today. He will give me grace to calm and quiet my soul before Him. I can simply "cast my care" on Him (1 Peter 5:7) and lean back against Him finding comfort and peace, like a weaned child with his mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment