Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Important Verses: Philippians 4:8

I was thinking today (and actually talking to a new friend) about various portions of Scripture that God has used through the years to change me. God's Word is always active in our lives. As 2 Timothy 3:16 says, it is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and training in righteousness. I thought I would reflect back on some that have been especially meaningful to me.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

This verse came alive for me after reading Elizabeth George's book, Loving God with All Your Mind. She points out applications to the idea of thinking on what is true. For example, it is not true to think that "God does not love me" or "So-and-so thinks I am stupid" or "God is not good to me". It is not true to "think thoughts" for other people when I cannot prove that whatever-I-think-they-are-thinking is what they are actually thinking. Thinking on what is true is a freeing concept. It forces me to harness my thoughts. I cannot allow them to run in wrong directions. I must "take every thought captive" and "make it obedient to Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment