Thursday, April 17, 2008

An "Inefficient" God

I've had two things happen to me recently that were really frustrating.

First, I bought a gallon of paint at Lowes which was dropped by my son right outside the sliding doors of Lowes. It spilled all over the entrance-way. My first thought was, "Why, God? This seems like a very inefficient use of your money. What possible good comes from this situation? Someone has to clean up the paint; I'm out $25 dollars; my son feels terrible; and the room will not get painted this week. Were I the sovereign of the universe, I would have made a different decision here."

Then today, I spent a couple of hours fixing the slatted bi-fold doors of my laundry closet only to have my daughter bang into them and break them again. Again, it seemed a terrible waste of resources. Fortunately, God is in charge of HIS resources, and He doesn't waste them. He does not ever waste time or money or lives.
Who has measured the Spirit of the Lord, or what man shows him his counsel?
Whom did he consult, and who made him understand?
Who taught him the path of justice, and taught him knowledge,
and showed him the way understanding?
Isaiah 40:13-14 (ESV)
(For the record, I think the purpose of the paint situation was to teach my son a lesson about family forgiveness and God's forgiveness. The time wasted today on doors--still not sure about that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment