Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I Tried to Make Salsa


People tell me that everything I touch turns out just right, but not so today. I've changed that. Every craft I touch might work out, but when it comes to the kitchen, I just can't do it. I tried. I was given over 30 tomatoes and wanted to be very productive so I decided to try salsa. Actually it looked great. I spent all morning cutting, dicing, blanching, peeling all sorts of things and threw it all together without a problem. I was simmering the salsa on the stove for the few hours it needed and was cleaning up my kitchen. I got out all the jars I would need to sanitize them and began to smell this delicious smell of salsa in the kitchen. Well it wasn't quite the smell I thought I would smell. It was kind of garlicky. Hummm. I decided to look at the recipe. Could I have done something wrong? No... Well, maybe - What is a clove of garlic? I thought I knew, but maybe I didn't. Early I had to look up how to cut garlic, but I never looked into what a clove was. So I called my sister. She said a clove was one of those things in a garlic bulb. Ok - so I thought a clove was the bulb. What does that mean you ask? The recipe called for two garlic cloves and I put in about 20 garlic cloves. That's why the house smelled so garlicky. The question now remains. What should I do? I just spent all morning and part of the afternoon, money on ingredients and jars...

Option 1: Dump it and cry
Option 2: Double the batch - actually that would be by 10. We would have salsa coming out of our ears. And I certainly don't have 120 jars.
Option 3: Save 1/10 of the salsa I made and try to make the rest of the batch again.
Option 4: Go to Wal-mart and buy Pace Picante Sauce and put it into my jars - labeled Anna's salsa. No one would know right?
Or
Option 5: Forget this whole kitchen canning thing and next time someone offers me tomatoes say - I'm sorry I'd love to, but I tried that once.

What did I do? I cried a little, laughed a lot and my husband told me it was fine and to can it anyway. And so I did. And I’ll remember, every time I take out a jar of “garlic salsa” to eat, what a clove of garlic is. Lesson learned. And we will say thanks God for our salsa. “All things work together for good, to them that love God to them who are called according to his purpose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment